cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upload a zip file to media

I'm trying to upload a zip file so that others can download them as a resource but when I go to media and try to upload it gives me a generic "HTTP error." with no other error codes. It's not too big because the max upload is 32 MB and this file is only 3.5. I've also confirmed it's not the file itself as I have another wp site on a different host runing the same version that was able to upload and download the file just fine so I think it has something to do with GoDaddy's server configurations / file limits? I've gotten around this now by uploading it using regular ftp but I'd appreciate some assistance troubleshooting if possible for future times. 

Thanks for your help, 

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Unable to upload a zip file to media

@Sequoia 

I've not personally seen this issue before (zip file with the HTTP error), however it doing some quick Google search, it would appear that this issue maybe that WordPress is trying to extract the files from the zip file and that is what is causing the HTTP error. 

WordPress has some built in features to prevent certain file types from being uploaded to media. From what I've read the only way around that (without using FTP or a File Manager Plugin) is to write some custom functions to allow those file types

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I won't say it's not possible to do that but I think it has more to do with Godaddy and their setup / server restrictions. I have the same wp running on a different host and I can upload zip files no problem.

The main reason I think it's godaddy's servers is on the other host after I installed the wp site I could out of the box upload zip files up to 128 mb. Once we go the site set up on godaddy I only had a max upload of 2mb. After googling around about how to increase the limit I contacted gd support and they helped me up it to 16mb. So that's why I'm thinking gd has some restrictions on file uploads, which don't get me wrong I know with security concerns that's necessary, but the whole point of moving to wp install was to make it so other people in our office who aren't html/ftp savvy the ability to upload and manipulate pages easier. 

Super User III
Super User III

@Sequoia 

WOW...a 128MB zip file - My first response if one of my clients said that is what they were looking to upload would be let me set up the File Manager Plugin and have you upload it that way or just setup FTP which I would would be faster than an HTTP upload.

Any time I've had files that large I typically just went straight to FTP  as I wouldn't even think to try it via the browser (PHP settings aside). I've uploaded files that large via cPanel, but that has it's on scripting to handle the files

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community