cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Changing Main Domain

Hi all, I'm very new to this so please be patient with me. I have Deluxe hosting which entitles me to host multiple websites under the same hosting plan. 

I created a WP website on abc.com and it is up and running. Since this was the first website, it became the main domain. I then proceeded to register 123.com and added it as an add-on domain under abc.com. I've also created a WP website for 123.com.

I would now like to switch the Main Domain from abc.com to 123.com, but reading the articles means that I would have to delete 123.com as my add-on domain. 

My question is, would I lose the website I've created for 123.com? And once 123.com becomes my Main Domain, will I lose the website for abc.com

Thanks in advance for any help / advice. 

4 REPLIES 4
Advocate III Advocate III
Advocate III

Re: Changing Main Domain

I'd say it depends on your hosting plan. Contact the hosting provider and ask them directly. With all hosting providers I've worked with you need to contact them to change the main domain in any case.

Geeks rule!
New

I'm hosted with GoDaddy. The instructions for changing domains are stated in an article, saying that I would need to remove the addon domain before I can change the main domain. Just worried that I would lose both sites if I do this... 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SamNg,

I understand your concern! Sounds like the best thing to do is call our Customer Support team if you're not comfortable with doing this on your own. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out. You can reach them 24/7 at 480-505-8877. Take care and good luck!

Rachel

Advocate III Advocate III
Advocate III

Make sure you've backed up everything to do with the addon domain and downloaded all the backups to your local computer or a cloud service before deleting the addon domain in any case. Never delete a domain without a backup in your possession.

Geeks rule!