cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
mikeb1
Helper I

Failed move to cPanel

For some years I have been successfully running a number of applications with a MySQL backend on an old Windows platform.  I am now trying to move one of the applications to a cPanel platform and am having problems getting the application to run. I suspect the problem is associated with privileges or access.

I have copied the application and database to the cPanel environment but when I try to access the database through the application I get the following type of error:

Failed to connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'test'@'localhost' to database 'TDHSimages'

When I go into phpMyAdmin and then databases I get the following screen:

Databases
Database  

Collation ActionTotal: 2 latin1_swedish_ci
information_schemautf8_general_ci

Check privileges
TDMSimageslatin1_swedish_ci

Check privileges

Clicking on Check privileges for TDMSimages gives me the following message:

Privileges

No Privileges

This sounds like a problem but I don’t know how I can change privileges. Should I not be a super user?

So I tried to create a new MySQL database and then rebuild the database from there but when I go into and try to create a database (mb) I get the following message:

MySQL® Databases

The database “mb” already exists.

This seems to be a bogus message as I cannot find such a database. I have tried to create a number of database with different names but always get the same problem

GoDaddy has been trying to get me to move into the cPanel environment for some time but I could see no advantage in doing so.  Then a couple of month’s ago I was told that I was being moved to cPanel. I then experienced a couple of days when the application did not work.  When these problems disappeared I presumed that the transfer has been completed. I now realize that the transfer failed and that I am still on the old platform.

How can I contact someone in GoDaddy who will work through the problems with me? 
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@mikeb1 

Ummm - I was just double checking the thread - Your database is TDMSimages not TDHS

Sorry I didn't see this originally - I completely missed the letter being different

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

and I missed the mis-spelling for ever.  Thank you so much for spotting my stupidity.  

I am going to close this thread and open a new thread with the other cPanel problems I have encountered.

13 REPLIES 13
PL281
Super User II

@mikeb1 

The easiest thing to do is in cPanel go to MySql Databases from here you can assign a user to a database and grant all the permissions

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

mikeb11
Getting Started

Yes, I did assign users and set up privileges in MySQL Databases before trying to access the database.  I have just rechecked that it says they are privileges users.

It makes no sense to me that I am allowed to assign privileges when if I go to 'check privileges' for the database it says I have none,.

@mikeb11 

Can you post a screen capture of cpanel where you see the privileges???

I have given the ‘test’ user all privileges until I get this thing working, then I will pare them back to what is needed.
mikeb11
Getting Started

I did include the screen shot in this posting but somehow it got stripped out.  Here is try 2.

mikeb11_0-1575891375006.png

@mikeb11 

That looks perfect - There are certain things on a cPanel server that you need to do via the cPanel and others that you can do within phpMyAdmin - this is due to security settings within the server

mikeb1
Helper I

I am no further forward and the problem remains unresolved at this time. - Mike

@mikeb1 

Can you be a bit more specific - Where are you getting an error / what are you not able to access??

See my original posting.

@mikeb1 

Ok - So where are you getting the access denied - is this via a PHP Script?? 

The parameters are set up as 

$dbname = 'TDHSimages';

$user = 'test';
$password = '-----'; password omitted

$hostname='localhost';

The command is

$mysqli = mysqli_connect($hostname, $user, $password, $dbname);

and the error message is

Failed to connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'test'@'localhost' to database 'TDHSimages'

This works fine on the old Windows platform but fails on the cPanel platform.  The only difference is that on cPanel I have added privileges to the users, described in a previous post.

Please also note that I am unable to create new databases on the cPanel platform, which points towards something being amiss with the set up of that platform.

@mikeb1 

Ummm - I was just double checking the thread - Your database is TDMSimages not TDHS

Sorry I didn't see this originally - I completely missed the letter being different

and I missed the mis-spelling for ever.  Thank you so much for spotting my stupidity.  

I am going to close this thread and open a new thread with the other cPanel problems I have encountered.