I "accidentally" made a change in my FTP, /, File Attributes, then "recurse into subdirectories" which I checked. I don't know what the original settings were (owner, group, public) and don't know what blocks were checked, unchecked or solid. I was looking around the panel because my website was recently hacked by a "pharma" hacker. I got the site cleaned up but had to mess around in this area...
Of course, my website "vanished" and I get the "You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. ---on my website pages.
How can I get the website back to the original?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi @Jack409. That definitely sounds like a tough situation. As far as I know, there isn't a way to simply reverse this kind of change, unfortunately. You'll likely need to go through your application and modify file permissions for individual files or maybe in small batches. You'll need to find out from the application publisher/creator (like WordPress for example) what file permissions are supposed to be and then fix them using either the File Manager for your account or an FTP client.
Thanks for your response JesseW.
I tried every possible combination on the attributes, but I could not get permission from the remote to change anything, i.e., kept getting a 403 on my website and refusal on the server to accept changes. I think the hacker may have screwed up a few other items, thus preventing me from changing selections.
After countless hours (days!) dealing with this, I deciding it was time to call in the Godaddy experts. I figured they deal with this stuff on a daily basis--and a lot worse. I was prepared to reinstall all of my webpages and thousands of images. That isn't a real big deal, however, I still have many pages on my home computer (the website) and their affiliated images, that are no longer in use or have been updated in editing but not at all stages, i.e., webpage writer, webpage editor, FTP. This makes just sending the whole website to the server a real time-consuming mess.
I am happy to report that a very competent tech employee at Godaddy (THANK YOU!!!) was able to go into my account and return the server to a point before I screwed it up trying to get rid of the "hack." He even made a few suggestions to improve my settings! Finally, I copied the settings and numbers in each directory and each item for future reference-- P.S.: they were almost all the same!