cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to Install Supervisor (a task runner for linux OS) on VPS

I got a website built in Laravel that uses web sockets for real time stuff. To make sure the socket server keeps running, I need to install a task runner. Click here to check the supervisor installation instructions.

I got a VPS CentOS 7 hosting. When I connect through SSH using hosting account it allows me to list the directories but then I cannot run command like yum install supervisor and I get an error message that I don't have root permissions. When I connect through SSH using root credentials, I can't even list directories for example public_html and my project.  

I'm unable to figure out what exactly Is going on. I spoke to support and they literally kept connected with me for an HOUR but there was no actual help. I requested them to tell why I can't browse public_html and other directories being a root user and they could not help me out. I'm posting my question here hoping for a quick help. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How to Install Supervisor (a task runner for linux OS) on VPS

@horrobre 

I guess I'm confused by your question - there is no bin folder in the home directory - the Home directory is where each of the cPanel user folders are stored - /usr/ is different than /home

You need to be very careful on the VPS / SSH as you can easily take down your entire server - having Root access means you have super user privileges to to the entire server - where as with cPanel you just have access to one "folder / subfolders" and

In your example what would change is the laravel-echo would change to whatever username you have for the cPanel account you've created on the VPS

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@horrobre 

I just want to recap what you are attempting to do and the steps I would try / do

1) You've logged into to WHM for your VPS and gone to Terminal

2) You have run yum install supervisor 

3) You now need to get to the home directory for your website

4) You've done cd /home

5) then cd /USER where user is the user for the cPanel account for your site

6) The directories aren't showing????

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Yes directories aren't showing. I mean, It shows some directories but the HOME directory is not there. I managed to install the supervisor (task runner) and now I need to run it but there's no php executable in the bin directory. 

Please take the following as an example:

[program:websockets]
command=/usr/bin/php /home/laravel-echo/laravel-websockets/artisan websockets:serve
numprocs=1
autostart=true
autorestart=true
user=laravel-echo

If you check the seconds line which starts with the word command, the PHP executable path is specified but when I go to /home/bin/ (there is no executable inside). Where do I locate the PHP executable?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@horrobre 

I guess I'm confused by your question - there is no bin folder in the home directory - the Home directory is where each of the cPanel user folders are stored - /usr/ is different than /home

You need to be very careful on the VPS / SSH as you can easily take down your entire server - having Root access means you have super user privileges to to the entire server - where as with cPanel you just have access to one "folder / subfolders" and

In your example what would change is the laravel-echo would change to whatever username you have for the cPanel account you've created on the VPS

View solution in original post