cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change root directory for primary domain name?

Hi there!

I purchased recently GoDaddy Deluxe Linux hosting, and according to my understanding I can host unlimited domains and websites there.

I have 3 domains. I would like to have simple and clear structure of folders for my domains, e.g.

/public_html/folder1 -> for my 1st domain

/public_html/folder2 -> for my 2nd domain

/public_html/folder3 -> for my 3rd domain

But, according to link https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-is-my-websites-root-directory-16187 - "Your primary domain name's root directory is /public_html." So, as far as I understand for my primary domain it is not possible to create dedicated root directory.

If anyone knows how to solve it or at least has workaround - I would appreciate if you could share it with me. 

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: How to change root directory for primary domain name?

Hello @sergey_sea

Your solution is quite simple: create a sub-domain and use that as your hosting account name.

After you create your sub-domain take a look on this tutorial

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/change-your-accounts-domain-16163

Good luck.

🙂

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
New

I'm not sure this is still valid. In order to add a subdomain, you need to have added the domain already. If the domain is added already then you can't set it to be the primary domain. I am also stuck wanting a sensible folder structure for my domains, and can't figure a way around this.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @beeboo. Thanks for posting. Try changing the primary domain for your account to a false domain. Then, add your actual domain as an addon. That will allow you to give it its own directory under plublic_html. Note that this will only work on Deluxe or above cPanel plans. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I cant ..It is showing me the error

Hello,

Could you explain more precisely how to do this:"Try changing the primary domain for your account to a false domain" ?

Thanks!

Hi @zhampu2,

Welcome to the Community!

You can use these instructions to change the primary domain on your cPanel hosting plan. You can either use a domain you have that is otherwise not in service, or create a false - or placeholder - domain. Something as simple as "primarydomain.com"- it doesn't matter as it will not have DNS directing to the plan. 

Then, using the domain that used to be the primary domain, you can add it to the plan as an "add-on" domain, assigning it to its own folder. These instructions will walk you through the Add-On process.

Be advised that you must have a Deluxe or higher hosting plan in order to take these actions. An Economy plan can only have one valid domain; it is the Primary Domain.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support