cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Blocker not working

If i try to block an IP using the IP Blocker tool in cpanel, it doesn't block that IP. I've tried blocking IPs using wordpress plugins, none of them seem to work either. WHy is IP blocking not working on my sites hosted by Godaddy?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: IP Blocker not working

Hi @HeavyMetaL. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! It's hard to say for sure why this isn't working for you. The IP blocker in cPanel works by setting up a .htaccess file in the home directory (above your /public_html directory) with rules to block specific IPs or a range. If you have another .htaccess file with rules in it in the website's directory, they could maybe be interfering with the one set up by the system. How are you testing the IP connection to see if it's blocked? Maybe there's a false positive there. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Workaround for cpanel ip blocker not working in wordpress

IP blocker adds deny lines to the .htaccess file in public_html. Unfortunately, this only works with regular apache sites. For Wordpress, you need to add the denials within <Limit GET POST> and </Limit> so you need to manually edit the .htaccess file as follows.

<Limit GET POST>
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from x.x.x.x
deny from y.y.y.y
</Limit>

Godaddy help was useless on this. We were getting a DDOS attack and they said there was nothing that could be done. All they wanted to do was upsell us on their security package. When I challenged Cam the hosting support guy, he said to go to another company if I can find better service there. I just might do that at the next renewal.