cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Not having luck creating a subdomain

I am currently trying to clone a website to a subdomain. It is not the main domain associated with the account, and I am having significant difficulties setting the subdomain up. If I set it up in cpanel, I get a "This site can't be reached". I have tried cname and A entries as well. I may be running into the difficulties here however.

So, in essence, I have site1.com. I want site2.com (which is really site2.site1.com) to be store.site2.com (which would really be store.site2.site1.com)

So which domain would the cname or A record go? I have tried c panel subdomains with every derivative known to man, and it will not show. Essentially it is a subdomain of a subdomain, and I can not figure out which way to make it do what I would like it to. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Not having luck creating a subdomain

Hi @BIGstieny Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! I think maybe what you may be missing would be the addon domain setting in cPanel. While creating an addon domain does technically create a subdomain for it, you wouldn't want to start there. For order's sake, I would add domain2.com as an addon domain. Then add a subdomain for it of "store". Doing that within cPanel should automatically create the DNS entries you need. During the process of adding the addon domain and subdomain, you should be able to define what folder they go to. You can have both domain2.com and store.domain2.com go to the same directory or different ones. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW some progress! I am able to now see the gpdaddy parked page. It is showing everywhere it is supposed to be showing, but I am getting this error now. Does it have to fully propagate before I can do a clone?  *edit* even after placing an index.html file, it is still showing as parked. 

This is the error I am getting: 

Cloning: Error: A test of the selected domain has failed (HTTP error: 404). Installatron is unable to install on a domain that is not resolving/loading to this web account.

screenshot_cpanel.jpg

@JesseW thanks for the help. As for the other, I was able to get a wordpress installation in, so I will do the clone manually. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BIGstieny. Yes, you'd need to make sure your domain was resolving to the hosting plan before attempting to use a migration tool. Otherwise, it would be looking in a location where there are no files (which is what would generate a 404 error). Hopefully your manual cloning process goes smoothly. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.