cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

PHP 5 to 7 - After migrating, I have 2 websites, one with prefix new.

Hi, hope I can get some tips. I migrated the web hosting to Linux with CPanel, and now there is a second website  in the account. It starts with the prefix "new." 

This new one has PHP 7 and the old one has PHP 5. I'm trying to make the "new.website.com" to be the main site "website.com. " How would I go about it?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: PHP 5 to 7 - After migrating, I have 2 websites, one with prefix new.

Hey there @andrelefebvre 

This one is pretty easy.

• Go to My Products
  • Expand the Web Hosting section
  • Select Manage on your hosting
  • On the Hosting Control Panel on the left, you will see a section called Account
  • Underneath that, you'll see the current primary domain and a change button
  • Make sure the domain you want to be the primary doesn't have an SSL and isn't currently attached to your old hosting
  • Once you're satisfied, hit Change Domain

Now, it should automatically do a search and replace on the database if it's the primary domain. That means all the URLs should work. You may have to update the permalinks if some pages load to a 404, possibly. It also won't change any custom links you may have done.

Hope that helps!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hey thanks! 

And what if a bit of work has been done in the meantime? They has someone add a new language to the site. Can I just duplicate/clone the WP from within the CPanel to the new.website.com and THEN do the changes you outlined?

Much appreciated! Smiley Happy

I also forgot to ask if doing this change will be automatic, or how long for the changes to be propagated?

Super User III
Super User III

To answer the first, yes, you should be able to just clone the WordPress installation with the updates.

To answer the second, it's pretty quick. It can take between 24-48 hours but it's usually done in a 10-15 minutes.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community