cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aknot
Getting Started

Was told I'd be migrated to the latest cPanel but it hasn't happened yet

Why dont I have cpanel? Ive been told I havent been migrated. Why havent I been migrated? Ive been a customer for a few years now Linux hosting Deluxe etc and yet Im not getting what Ive paid for to use when I want to use it. Please could someone explain this to me? Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

We are end users here in the community. The only thing I can say is that GoDaddy has 1000s if not 10000s of Linux accounts to migrate to cPanel - while I don't know their process - I can tell in terms of "best practices" you don't take an entire server and just move the whole thing especially when moving platforms - you go account by account - so it is a time consuming process.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Aknot
Getting Started

Understood but why remove what was there? I had Cpanel now I dont have Cpanel. Logic dictates before taking something away you ensure the new stuff works and migrates correctly THEN you turn stuff off. 

My Cpanel was removed. I have no way to install things I want to install nor do I have a way via Cpanel to do other functions that I had been able to do in the past. 

The issue is not I do not have new, the issue is I had something they took it away. Im paying for it why dont I have it?

PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

I'm confused by your statement - the Deluxe linux hosting had GoDaddy's own internal "panel / dashboard" - The migration to the cPanel server give you cPanel which also gives you newer versions of PHP and some other additional enhancements.

If you were migrated to something like Managed WordPress this is a different product / offering - and while it does have a Dashboard it doesn't have cPanel because it is a managed product and because it is designed for the one site per "instance"

Hopefully that answers your questions - if you want to post a screen capture of what you are seeing / expecting I might be able to provide additional clarification

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Aknot
Getting Started

So Ive been a customer for oh at least 5 years if not more. When I signed up I could manage installs via Cpanel.

I went in this past week to install an instance of coppermine and there is no option. No Cpanel to actively install or even delete the 2 other instances of coppermine I have going.

I had a chat with a rep and this is what I was told to go to this link:

https://account.godaddy.com/products
Web Hosting
Manage All
Deluxe Web Hosting Linux

My Response:

You at 17:53, Nov 23:
I click manage all and tghe page is blank.

Himanshu at 17:55, Nov 23:
As this is old 4gh hostign as we need to get new upgrade dplan for you

I then called and was told yeah we are migrating... "it will get done".... Im curious as to why I had Cpanel and full access to various programs/installs and now I do not. And since they are migrating why would you turn off features before you fully migrate customers?

I used to go here and select Cpanel and install remove etc.... yet its not there anymore.

Aknot_0-1606848209444.png

JMunn
Getting Started

I am in the same boat. When I click on Manage All, I get the header and footer, blank in between. I did receive an email March, 12, 2020 about the migration. it included as part of the statement 

"There won't be any interruptions of service when we do".

I consider the lack of access to cPanel, excuse me "Server Hosting Dashboard" an interruption of service.

I've been a customer for over 20 years and have 18 web sites that I can no longer manage. 

Deluxe Web Hosting Linux

Aknot
Getting Started

Oh and thanks for your input btw.. 😉

PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

So That is NOT cPanel - that is GoDaddy's Server Hosting Dashboard.

cPanel will look very different - I am aware GoDaddy removed a number of apps from the legacy hosting product due to security and system requirements - for example as I recall that server can only go to php 5.4 - current version is 7.3 - I think the oldest supported version is 7.1 

Aknot
Getting Started

So I was/am paying for 1 click install of lets say Coppermine. However Godaddy because of security and system requirements took those away.

AND if I want Cpanel support I will have to PAY a fee to migrate....

OR wait til im auto migrated and not be able to use stuff im paying for.

It all comes down to I had something (1 click install) I paid for it, its taken away and they want me to now wait or pay......

I find that very questionable. Im looking through my emails and the only thing I see is the "Change is going to be seemless" and I dont have to do a thing.

Hello @Aknot ,

Thank you for your post here - I can understand your confusion!  We have been in an active End-Of-Life for the Shared Hosting with Linux legacy platform for over a year now.  As mentioned by @PL281, we have 100's of thousands of users on this platform, and our #1 priority is ensuring that all of your data is safe, and your site will still work after moving to the cPanel platform.  Unfortunately, this means the migration is taking a very long time to complete. We currently estimate the last of the accounts will move sometime in early 2021.

In regards to the application installer on the "Legacy" platform, it was not our intent to remove an included, value-add feature from the product, but rather to ensure we were not offering out-of-date software for our customers to install and utilize for their websites as we focused on preparing all customers to be moved to the new platform.  As mentioned above, this was indeed driven by the ever-increasing requirements of applications that our older platform just was not able to offer.  Please note that we do allow any and all compatible applications to still be installed manually on our Legacy web hosting plans.  

The email message you received earlier this year about a seamless migration is true, you won't have to do a thing once we have you ready to go.  You will receive another email letting you know that the migration will start in ~72 hours from the time of the message, and then yet another email when the migration is done.  

I hope this helps clarify a little, I appreciate your patience up to this point and for using GoDaddy as your hosting provider!

Regards, 

Matthew Richards
Senior PM, GoDaddy Hosting

Aknot
Getting Started

Two Months later and still nada. Im still paying for something I have no access to.

JMunn
Getting Started

We finally figured out what was going on with my blank cpanel page, excuse me, Server Hosting Dashboard. Cookies. I cleared all cookies related to GoDaddy, refreshed and there it was. However.... a few clicks later, gone again. Cleared cookies, it was back. Rinse, repeat. That was with Chrome. It happened only once with Edge. So I'm forced to use Edge if I want to see cPanel. 

Aknot
Getting Started

And why is this marked as Solved? It is not solved. It is still ongoing as it hasnt been fixed and "we have a lot of people and didnt properly plan" is not a solution it is an excuse.

PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

The GoDaddy Community is a public forum not at Support Forum - the topic was marked as resolved as there is nothing the community members can do. As @MatthewR 

mention this is a big process so it takes time.

If you need the newer server soon the only thing I could advise is download all the files from the current server - call into GoDaddy - while on the phone with them you should be able to cancel the existing server and get a store credit for the unused time and then purchase the new server and then copy all the files back onto the new server.

I would make sure to tell the support person that you are doing this as you cannot wait for the migration to take place - I cannot speak to pricing / length of time etc - I just am giving a suggestion - Again I'm an end user here like you.

Aknot
Getting Started

Thanks for the suggestion. However when I pull into a full service gas station and pay for full service I dont expect to do anything but pay.

This was never an issue for me to resolve. This is an issue because of (insert poor planning, short staffed etc.) GoDaddys.

I did call 3 times and got told 3 different things. Instead of doing 2 of the three suggestions I elected 1. Wait til the beginning of the year. This is after a notice on 3/18 stating change will be coming "you don't have to do anything" and "it will be seemless". 

So almost a year now and nada. Not to mention again I am paying for services I have no access to.

The best course of action is to go back 5 and punt. Will just have to cancel the service, move everything (what I can get to) elsewhere and do a chargeback with my CC company citing service not received. Use this thread and the email transcripts of my contact with support as justification.

Thanks for your response.

PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

Thank you for your follow up - The one thing that confuses me on your statement is that you are saying you don't have access to something.  To the best of my knowledge of how the migration process works, you should still have access to the Linux Deluxe server you've been paying for. 

The only point at which you might not is when the actual migration takes place which you are notified about 2 days before hand and then once the migration is completed you have access to the new server / cPanel account

Aknot
Getting Started

For example I do not have access to 1 click installs.

Coppermine comes to mind as that is how I share with family members.

Even when I go in to modify/view the coppermine sites that are currently present the dont work.

Its one of the reasons I went with GD awhile back I could easily (as advertised) do 1 click installs, create a DB name wait for the program/service to install and away I went.

I was messing with Joomla/Drupal a bit ago and that is not available (to me) as a 1 click install.

Even as I look on their front page:
1-Click installs of over 150 free apps.
My screen grab is earlier in this thread. Do you know where I would go to get access to those over 150 free apps?
So I feel Im paying for something I do not have access to.

PL281
Super User II

@Aknot 

When you say "front page" - I assume you mean "https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting" 

This is the cPanel hosting - this is what you will have access to once you are migrated. The cPanel and the Deluxe Linux Hosting are 2 separate platforms 

The best analogy (and this is an over simplification) that comes to mind is the Deluxe Linux Hosting is the equivalent of the iPad 2 (2nd Generation iPad - only supports up to iOS 10). Where as the cPanel server is the latest Generation iPad - supporting the latest iPadOS and all the latest apps.

The older iPad / Server will still run many apps, but has limits in part due to only being able to use the older iOS.  A real world example is Netflix will run on the older iPad, however Hulu and Disney+ will not.

Until GoDaddy migrates your data over to the new server you will not have access to the additional features / functionality - nor are you paying for them yet.

Aknot
Getting Started

"Until GoDaddy migrates your data over to the new server you will not have access to the additional features / functionality - nor are you paying for them yet."

However I had access to 1-Click installs prior to this. Yet I dont now. So these are not additional features (well maybe they have more installs) but again I cite I was able to 1 click install coppermine along with a list of other programs to include Drupal/Joomla and now I cant.

A real world example is Utilities are included in your monthly rent. Want water turn on a spigot. Want electricity plug something into the wall. Then one day after paying your monthly rent you try to get water and there is none. The pipes were old so they need to be replaced. Yet im still without water and Im still paying for it as its included in my rent. Not as I use it... but its there when I need to use it. Thats why I moved there they said water was available 24rs a day and was included.

So I pay for 1 click installs as that is what was advertised to me when I signed up that is what I had and used until this debacle. 

Speaking to other hosting providers I will likely have to wait until some business I have is completed as my email accounts may take a few days to setup and point to another. So im stuck with this until my business can be sorted.

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @Aknot. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and thoughts. I do understand how this situation could be frustrating. You seem to have two primary concerns, so I will address them individually. 

In regard to the migration of your account not occurring as quickly as you expected, I'm sure I would be frustrated by that too. It's hard not knowing when something important is going to happen. I can't offer you a timeframe on when the migration of your account will occur, other than it should hopefully occur within the next few months. Each customer's website is important to us, and we are taking care to allow the proper amount of time is taken to truly ensure that the migration is seamless wherever possible. This is taking more time than originally estimated due to the wide variety of very old code and applications in use by some of our customers. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. 

Related but a different concern, you are unhappy you're no longer able to do quick installs. I can also see how this would be frustrating. However, to compare these installs to something as crucial as water in an apartment is not quite the right comparison. I think a more apt analogy would be if you lived in an apartment where the landlord would always help his tenants by delivering their groceries. However, as the building aged, he could no longer help with this task, even though he wanted to. @MatthewR did a great job of explaining why this feature was removed which is why the response was marked as a solution. However, I have removed that indication since you have objected to it. 

Installing most applications is fairly easy. Coppermine should be no exception. If it would help, I'd be happy to provide instructions on how you can do this. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Aknot
Getting Started

No because the reason I moved into that apartment is it was advertised that I would have delivery. Just like when I signed up for Deluxe on Godaddy I was told I would have 1 click installs. 

I appreciate the effort and offer. However again I want to do things when I want to do things and "1 click installs" as advertised when I signed up was a big reason for being here. One could almost say bait and switch. You advertised it, you provided it for a bit and now its gone. 

So when I went to do it I noticed I couldn't. Who knows how long its been since this was stripped from my account.

No matter how it is spun it was a service GoDaddy provided and now you dont and im still paying for it. It was part of the Deluxe package. Now its not. How many ways can I say it was there and now it is gone? I could see if it was not part of your adverts or listed in the list of things you provide.... but it was. 

It doesnt matter, unless the account is swapped over before I no longer need 24hr access to email Im leaving. 

Piss poor planning and execution on GoDaddys part should not have me shouldering a burden. 

The funny thing is you state some of your users. I find it difficult to believe the base of users that are having this issue is that big. If it was you would have people jumping ship left and right just so they could do things. Or maybe you clientele is more tech savvy as it relates to websites and dont require like I do the 1 click installs. 

Anyho Im done. Once my business is addressed (less then a month as I properly planned it out) I will check my account. If not completed it will be canceled and charged backed to American Express as service not received.   

I know its difficult and I do appreciate the feedback.