New

E-mail deletion - account renewal

I have been a customer for 8 years. With everything going on with COVID I forgot to renew my e-mail account which was due in April. On 5/24/20 one representative on a chat said the e-mails could be recovered and, after getting disconnected, a second representative said they couldn't be recovered and after checking with their technical team said that the first representative was wrong. I was told that I missed by 4 days to renew and all of my e-mails were deleted and could not be recovered. I was very disappointed and angered by this. It is hardly a good way to treat customers, especially in these times.  It was a horrible feeling to learn that the e-mails could not be recovered. One would think the back up process would be extended, especially with the challenges we all are currently facing. 

Hi @CHK6,

We're sorry to hear of your disappointment with GoDaddy customer service and understand it can be frustrating to miss a payment and lose your email. We apologize if you were given any conflicting information by the customer support team. Multiple emails are sent to alert a customer to failed billing with any product. If there was no auto-renewal on the product, an alert regarding expiration will be sent. But our attempt to renew will fail in the absence of that feature. If there was auto-renew applied, but the payment method failed, the notice will reflect the need for action on your side. Please check your spam folders for these renewal alerts and list "@GoDaddy.com" as a preferred sender in the email address on your profile - so these alerts won't be missed in the future. 

Once an email plan expires, it remains inactive in the account for 20 days to allow for customer renewal and recovery. The addresses are then removed from the account. GoDaddy will hold backup data from emails for 14 days after that removal. Due to the large volume of email data on GoDaddy servers, a deadline is set to enable the continued storage for others in the timeline. If your time from expiration date to request for recovery exceeds 34 days, there will be no data to restore. If you have used an email client to pull your email from the server in the past (Outlook, Apple Mail, etc), you can recover backups by saving the data there. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

@TLH Thank you for your reply. Please help me with the time line on this. When was the actual date the payment was due and the actual date the e-mail account plan expired? I'd like to calculate the 20 days (from expiration) when the account is inactive and then the following 14 day period GoDaddy will hold backup data from emails which you indicate is GoDaddy's policy.

My issue is that given all the challenges being faced by almost everyone with COVID, and also considering the indulgences that most of corporate America is granting, that GoDaddy is not also granting extensions. My non payment was inadvertent and was the result of COVID items being dealt with. This is what I feel is an extreme lack of lack of customer consideration by GoDaddy in these difficult times.

Hi @CHK6,

Due to the non-validated (non-secure) nature of this Community forum, we're not able to provide specific account information here. That includes product dates, email addresses, or any other data that can only be seen by agents after validating your account with them. This is to protect the security of your account. Please contact the customer care team at the most convenient number to you in the link below.

While the system is unable to extend expiration dates, or prevent auto-removal of unpaid data, GoDaddy is offering Covid-19-related discounts to help with customer difficulties on a case-by-case basis. This is meant to help our customers with the ability to extend the contract on their products to retain them in the account. Please request a supervisor on your call or chat to request assistance with these discounts. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post