Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Prevent a skid before it happens (avoid these common issues)

• Driving too fast for the conditions
• Braking too hard for the conditions
• Accelerating too hard for the conditions
• Steering too harshly for the conditions
• Taking a curve or a turn too fast for the conditions
• Falsely believing that SUVs and pickup trucks somehow have better grip which allows them to be driven faster in snow and ice conditions

If your rear wheels skid...

• Take your foot off of the accelerator.
• Steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. For example, if your rear wheels are sliding left, steer left. If they're sliding right, steer right.
• If your rear wheels start sliding the other way as you recover, ease the steering wheel toward that side. You might have to steer left and right a few times to get your vehicle completely under control. If you have standard brakes, pump them gently.

If you get stuck...

• Do not spin your wheels. This will only dig you in deeper
• Turn your wheels from side to side a few times to push snow out of the way
• Use a light touch on the gas, to ease your car out
• Use a shovel to clear snow away from the wheels and the underside of the car
• Pour sand, kitty litter, gravel or salt in the path of the wheels, to help get traction
• Try rocking the vehicle. (Check your owner's manual first — it can damage the transmission on some vehicles.) Shift from forward to reverse, and back again. Each time you're in gear, give a light touch on the gas until the vehicle gets going.

Oh, wait. That's how to avoid a skid. I thought I was posting in a different forum but it still applies. Like driving with project management you have to remain vigilant, be gentle and progressive when steering, accelerating and braking, pay attention to the conditions, avoid hazards, take extra care when approaching a bend, slow down, know the direction to which you want to go, be quick to respond and be agile (pun intended).

Remember you are the expert, you know the end goal and you know best how to get there. You know pitfalls and hazards your clients are not aware of and they are relying on you to guide them to the best outcome. What we try to do is produce a product better than they asked for and better than they imagined. You are the driver, don't let your passenger be in charge of the steering acceleration or braking.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head