The WONDERFUL thing about working in the corporate world was that it was a professional environment filled with people who understood and believed in workflows. The familiarity with process meant that they were generally more accepting and understood the level of inputs that could and could not be included and at what value. Even then, if your VP was like mine there were still things crammed into every project and that was from a person who understood (in theory) the working method.

I don't always have the convenience of having a client that is a Project Management Professional or is versed in Scrum, Waterfall, Crystal, Agile, DSDM, JAD, RAD, RUP... This means that we are the drivers, you would never get into the passenger seat and let someone with no familiarity steer so don't do it for your projects. We show the client the way and are happy to guide them.

We also have clients who are proficient with project management when they come to us but though they are an experienced "driver" we are still behind the wheel. A good project manager will be a bit flexible with regard to the plan. I think what @DFurlong71 said we often are in the place when we can under promise but overdeliver. We all know those "nice to haves" that are easy to do that we can sneak into the deliverable. Balance is absolutely the key.

It is also perhaps important to note that the Bradley Personnel Carrier Bradley Fighting Vehicle is a real life example.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head