- Registrant — This is you, the person who’s currently registered the domain.
- Registrar — Like a supermarket, the registrar is the business that offers a variety of domains to register.
- Registry — These organizations own and manage one or more top-level domains (i.e. all .com domains), keep track of all their registrants and set rules (if any) for using it.
- ICANN — The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is kind of like domain name headquarters.
- WHOIS — Pronounced “Who Is,” this is a public record of who owns what domain, except for those with private registration.
A great domain is essential if you’re looking to get started online with a website or online store. While many tech providers let you create a site on a free domain that they own, it’s not the best way to build a brand. When you register a domain, you have the freedom to have it say anything you want — and even move it to another provider.
Some savvy online entrepreneurs have a knack for registering a web address they know will generate lots of demand, and then selling it for a profit on the domain aftermarket. Anyone can be a domain investor (as they’re called), you just need to learn a few things, like where to find the cheapest domains.
Shorter is always sweeter.
The average length of .com and .net domain name extensions is around 13 characters, which is a lot to remember these days when attention spans are about as long as that of a goldfish. The most relevant and meaningful names stand out when they’re short and easy to remember.
Time to get creative.
If your perfect domain isn’t available with some of the more popular domain extensions, just keep looking. Today, you have hundreds to choose from, including international domain names. These can help you build local credibility — or just let you unleash your creativity.
How do I get the most from my domain name?
If you already did your domain name search and registered the domain, nice work! Now it’s just a matter of using that domain name to its fullest potential. There are lots of things to consider, so let’s look at some of our top ideas.