Edit an SRV record
SRV (Service) records in your DNS zone file specify the connection details for services like FTP, telephony or instant messaging. Services like these must be accessed using specific ports, and SRV records let you specify these ports via DNS. You can edit your SRV records at any time in your GoDaddy account.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select the checkboxes next to the DNS records you need to edit and then select Edit.
- To edit a single DNS record, select Edit next to the specific record you'll be editing.
- Edit the details for your SRV record:
- Service: This is a symbolic name for the service, such as _sip, and must begin with an underscore (_).
- Protocol: The transport protocol of the service that must begin with an underscore (_). This is most commonly entered as _tcp or _udp.
- Name: The hostname or prefix of the record, without the domain name. Enter @ to put the record on your root domain, or enter a prefix, such as mail or phone.
- Value: The hostname of the machine providing the service, such as mail.coolexample.com.
- Priority: The priority determines which record to contact first when multiple SRV records with the same Name exist on the domain. A lower number means more preferred, and the record with the lowest priority will be used first.
- Weight: The relative weight for SRV records with the same priority. A higher value means a higher chance of getting picked.
- Port: The port where the service can be found, such as 80 or 21.
- TTL (Time to Live): The amount of time the server should cache information before refreshing. The default setting is 1 hour.
- (Optional) Select Add More Records to add multiple DNS records at the same time. If you change your mind, select Delete to remove any records that haven't been saved yet.
- Select Save to confirm your edits. If you added multiple records at the same time, select Save All Records.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Delete an existing SRV record if you no longer need it.
- Create a DNS template to quickly apply DNS records to your domains.
- Get started with professional email and stay connected to your community.
- Turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.