Enable Secondary DNS with GoDaddy nameservers as primary nameservers
Secondary DNS allows you to have your domain's DNS zone file backed up automatically onto a second set of nameservers. The secondary set of nameservers will have a zone file identical to the primary nameservers, and if the primary set goes down, Secondary DNS will automatically send requests to the secondary set. You must have Premium DNS on your domain to use Secondary DNS. You cannot use DNSSEC and Secondary DNS on the same domain name.
To use GoDaddy nameservers as the primary nameservers, you'll need to make sure your own nameservers are set as the secondary nameservers. You'll need to configure your own nameservers as the secondary and set to make AXFR queries from 126.96.36.199 and/or 188.8.131.52.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy Domain Portfolio. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select Domain Edit Options next to your domain and then select Edit DNS. You may need to scroll down to see Edit DNS.
- Select Secondary DNS from the More menu.
- Under Enabled, select On.
- Select Primary on the Configure zone as drop-down menu.
- Below Designate secondaries, select ADD.
- Enter the details for each section:
- Start IP Address: Enter the beginning of the IPV4 IP address range for your secondary nameservers.
- End IP Address: Enter the end of the IPV4 IP address range for your secondary nameservers.
- TSIG Type: Select the algorithm (hash function) to use for authenticating your transactions. If you don't want to use TSIG, select None.
- TSIG Name: Enter a unique name for the TSIG key.
- TSIG Value: Enter a value for the TSIG key. This value is a password that both nameserver sets share and use to authenticate requests.
- Select Update, then Apply to save your changes.
Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but could take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- You'll want to test your secondary DNS servers to make sure they are transferring the zone from us successfully, and they respond authoritatively for your DNS zone record when queried directly.
- If you change your mind, you can disable Secondary DNS at any time.