Make my website easy to find using SEO
Just because you build it doesn’t mean customers will come. It takes time and good keywords to get found. So let’s get started!
Goals for this section:
- Find your keywords.
- Use the SEO tool on your home page, site pages and images.
- Get found in local search.
Estimated time to complete: 20-30 minutes
Find your keywords
Keywords are the words people use when they search for you and what you offer. You already started defining your keywords when you set up your site. Your keywords might change over time, or you might refine your keywords to something more niche.
- Creating a keyword seed list.
- Finding your business or industry keywords.
- Finding the keywords your target audience uses.
- Spying on your competitors keywords.
We also have an article on the 12 best SEO tools to help your website show up in search results (free, paid, and available through GoDaddy).
Use the SEO tool on your site, pages, and images
The SEO tool in Website Builder walks you through improving your site’s SEO.
Open your site from your My Products page. From your Dashboard, select Marketing and then select SEO.
You already added keywords to your home page when you set up your site, but if you’ve made a lot of content changes, it’s a good idea to do it again. Then, add keywords to the rest of your site and update your images to include alt tags.
Add your keywords everywhere that makes sense. Make sure you’re writing for people first. Search engines rank sites higher that have quality traffic, such as people who stay on your site longer to read everything.
Redo steps at any time, but realize it does take time for your changes to show up.
Getting found in local search: name, address, and phone number (NAP)
If you’re a local business, you not only want to get found in general searches, but you also want to get found by the people who are in your service area.
We’ll start by listing your business on Google and Yelp.
From your Dashboard, select Marketing and then select Google My Business. Follow the prompts to connect to a listing or create a new listing.
Repeat the process to connect to Yelp. From your Dashboard, select Marketing, select Yelp, and then follow the prompts.
One important best practice is to make sure your business name, address, and phone number are EXACTLY the same across all sites. It doesn’t matter if you spell things out or use abbreviations. What matters is that you’re consistent.
For example, here’s a made-up business name, address, phone number and website:
Lakeside Heating and Air Conditioning 1234 Main St. NE, Anywhere, AZ (480) 123-4567 www.lakesideheatingac.com
Variations like the ones below will hurt your results in search pages.
- Changes in your company name such as “Lakeside Heating and AC” (abbreviation) or “Lakeside Heating & Air Conditioning” (ampersand instead of spelled out).
- Address changes such as 1234 Main Street Northeast (instead of St. or NE).
- Phone number changes such as 480.123.4567 (uses periods instead of parentheses).
- Website URL changes such as lakesideheatingac.com (no www) or https://www.lakesideheatingac.com (added https:// in front).
Great progress! Your website has content and now it’s optimized for SEO so you can get found more easily. Still, it’ll take a while for search engines to update themselves with all your changes. While we wait, let’s connect your site to social media accounts.