Set up reverse DNS for my Gen 4 Dedicated Server
You can set up reverse DNS (rDNS) lookup for your Generation 4 Dedicated Server. Most of the time, DNS "looks" for your website by first finding the domain name, then locating the associated IP address. With reverse DNS lookup, DNS first looks for an IP address and then locates the associated domain name.
If you run your own email server, set up rDNS to point to your primary domain name - some servers will reject emails from any IP address without rDNS.
Reverse DNS also helps if you need to troubleshoot your network (such as running a traceroute).
- Log in to your account. (Need help logging in?)
- In your My Products page, click Servers, and next to the Generation 4 Dedicated Server you want to use, click Manage.
- In the Settings section, next to IP address, click Manage.
- In the DNS record field, enter the fully-qualified domain name you want associated with the server IP address (for example, mail.coolexample.com).
- Click Update. We'll complete the reverse DNS setup - it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to propagate to our servers.