Update a WordPress theme with FTP
Some premium or custom WordPress themes can't be updated from your WordPress dashboard. In this case you'll need to upload a copy of the newest version using FTP. You can use any FTP app, but we recommend FileZilla.
- Download the latest version of the theme and extract it on your local computer (Windows or macOS).
- Connect to your hosting with FTP by following the steps provided for your hosting plan (Linux Hosting with cPanel | Windows Hosting with Plesk | Managed WordPress).
- In the Remote site section of FileZilla, find the folder with your WordPress site and then go to the /wp-content/themes folder.
- In the Local site section of FileZilla, find the folder with the unzipped latest version of the theme.
Note: Some themes unzip into a folder with the version number included in the name. As an example, twentytwentytwo.1.1. You just need the folder from inside that doesn't have the version number. In this example, it would be twentytwentytwo.
- Drag and drop the theme folder from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
Note: You might get a pop-up window saying the target file already exists; in that case, select Overwrite and Apply to current queue only. Finish the process by selecting the OK button.
Your theme is now updated to the latest version.