What is Advanced Email Security?
Email is essential for any business. It allows you to communicate with employees and vendors, and keeps your team connected on important projects. However, sometimes attackers take advantage of your reliance on email by impersonating others to steal your information or for other malicious reasons.
That's where Advanced Email Security comes in. Advanced Email Security protects against cybersecurity threats, including spam, malware, and phishing attacks. It's cloud-based email security that works on any email client, on any device, and displays warning banners directly in messages so you're always one step ahead of attackers.
- If you’re using Advanced Email Security powered by INKY, you’ll see a blue header that includes "Powered by INKY."
- If you’re using Advanced Email Security from Proofpoint, you’ll see a white header with “GoDaddy."
Select a question to see its answer:
- Who needs Advanced Email Security?
- How does Advanced Email Security work?
- What are Advanced Email Security's limitations?
Who needs Advanced Email Security?
Advanced Email Security is useful for anyone who uses email, especially businesses that want to protect their day-to-day operations from disruptions or threats. Email attacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated, which makes them harder to detect. Advanced Email Security identifies potentially harmful email so you can best protect yourself and your business.
It also includes encryption, which is a critical requirement for businesses in regulated industries, like financial services, insurance and real estate. For example, if an attorney sends a contract to their client, and the message is sent unencrypted (in plain text), it could be at risk of being intercepted or misdirected. Advanced Email Security protects email communication and helps businesses avoid a potentially serious data breach.
How does Advanced Email Security work?
Select the appropriate tab based on your version of Advanced Email Security.
Advanced Email Security protects your information by encrypting email contents during transit. This means that if a message is intercepted or ends up in the wrong hands, unauthorized parties can't read it.
When you send an encrypted message to a recipient outside of your organization, like a customer, they'll receive a link to the message. They'll then be able to create an Advanced Email Security account to view and respond to the message for 14 days. Recipients in your organization, like employees, don't have to sign in to see the encrypted message.
In addition to encryption, the Advanced Email Security add-on will:
- Scan messages for potential threats
- Color-code email tags on incoming email that may have potential threats
- Guard against data loss
- Make sure URLs in messages don't go to harmful destinations
- Check for malicious attachments on messages
- Quarantine messages that appear to be coming from your domain but originate from outside your organization
Your Microsoft 365 inbox filters will still function. You can use any email client, and messages sent within your organization behave normally, even when encrypted.
Advanced Email Security uses computer vision, artificial intelligence and machine learning to detect and protect against malicious email. Advanced Email Security is constantly learning to improve its threat recognition and identify suspicious email.
Some of Advanced Email Security's protection technology includes:
- Text analysis models to identify if the sender is legitimate and prevent scams. This includes checking the company logo to determine if it's a forgery or uses brand-impersonation techniques.
- Social graphing to alert you of text-based phishing emails. It determines if a sender is legitimate to stop impersonation attempts.
- Color-coded warning banners on incoming email that include guidance on how to safely treat the email
- A dashboard where admins can control Advanced Email Security and manage their warning banners
- Reporting and visualization tools so you have a complete understanding of all email activity
Advanced Email Security integrates with Microsoft 365 so you have organization-wide security that doesn't slow down mail delivery. All incoming email is automatically checked by Advanced Email Security, and you can track all blocked threats.
What are Advanced Email Security's limitations?
All users and domains within your organization must be included in the Advanced Email Security account.
Other limits to keep in mind:
- You can send up to 2,500 outgoing messages per day, and no more than 500 messages in 10 minutes.
- The email size, including attachments, must be less than 150 MB (Standard) and 35 MB (Encrypted).
- This is affected by any Microsoft 365 message size limits, like restrictions set by your organization or your email client.
- You can include up to 1,000 recipients per message.
- Encrypted messages are stored for 14 days.
Advanced Email Security works on any email client and on any device, including mobile, but there are some limitations to keep in mind:
- Encrypted outbound messages must be less than 75 MB, including attachments.
- Replies in the encryption portal must be less than 75 MB, including attachments.
- Encrypted messages will be retained for 30 days.
- Emails and domains added to Allow or Block lists can’t be deleted, but can be disabled.
Advanced Email Security has no send rate limits and no recipient limitations. Microsoft 365 limitations still apply.
- Choose the Microsoft 365 plan with Advanced Email Security that works best for you.
- Learn how to get the most out of Advanced Email Security by customizing your settings.